Wednesday, May 21, 2008

TBIP Day 7 & Peer Discussions

This week's session for TBIP is about designing/creating your website. Today, was about designing a visually appealing site. I started brainstorming on how I want my site to look like. I was having trouble because I can't imagine my site to be anything but a macro site. There are many products to promote and many customer personas to target. Since this will be my first affiliate site, I know that a micro site should do for a couple of reasons: I don't expect my first site to be perfect the first time, I want to test the niche, I want to test the site, etc..

So I chatted with my buddy Brad for a little bit. He helped me realize that the microniche I have been working on is actually a niche. I still need to carve out a smaller niche. So I spent some more time today trying to carve out a smaller niche. He advised me to pick a smaller niche, become and expert in that tiny area and then expand.

I've now chosen my smaller niche. The workload lightened up a little bit and a lot of the work is becoming much more clearer and a lot less overwhelming compared to yesterday. I understand my customer personas better. I have a better idea of what the direction of my site should take.

It's good to have a trusted peer and/or mentor in affiliate marketing. I can get feedback on what I'm doing right and wrong. An outside perspective can provide some great insight. They can provide good resources and they are an excellent resource as well.

No comments: